Geothermotherapy – The Science of the Stones
This month we explain the science behind one of our most popular treatment LaStone therapy.
There's no denying the power of bodywork. Regardless of the adjectives we assign to it (pampering, rejuvenating, therapeutic) or the reasons we seek it out (a luxurious treat, stress relief, pain management), massage therapy can be a powerful ally in your healthcare regimen.
LaStone therapy is the application of alternating temperatures delivered by natural stones (lava stones and basalt stones) known as Geothermotherapy. The purpose behind it is to change the physiological responses within the body to promote healing.
Circulation is rapidly changed with the practise of geothermotherapy, and if circulation is increased, then so is nutrition and the way that every cell in the body responds to the experience of alternating temperatures being applied. Circulation is key to health. We go to the gym to increase our circulation, to promote health and well-being. Think of LaStone as a passive workout in the gym. We take our internal organs and systems to the gym while our bodies and mind relax by the pool – free to dream and travel, and returning fully fit.
It's believed that when you increase the blood flow through the skin detoxification is increased, supporting the liver, bowel and kidneys, and the lymphatic and circulation system. All areas of the body’s system continue to respond for seventy-hours after a LaStone treatment, during which healing occurs within the body.
When using both heated and chilled stones in a massage . we are accelerating the exchange of blood, lymph and digestive fluids in the body, and increase the blood flow to the area to which the stones are applied. Isolating chilled/cool stones on an inflamed area will facilitate the removal of toxins and inflammation, encouraging a healing response deep within the body’s system.
Geothermotherapy: The Basics
- Causes vasodilation -a stimulating widening of the blood vessels, increasing blood supply and leading to flushing.
- Increases circulation – floods the body with oxygenated blood, highly nutritional fuel.
- Increase metabolism, improving the rate at which the body processes foods and toxins, burns energy and clears through
- Increases pulse rate, thereby improving the circulation and helping the heart to pump efficiently.
- Increase cell metabolism – the rate at which the body manufactures good chemicals, helping hormones, blood cells and the immune system
- Increase lymph function, putting the body’s waste-disposal system on full speed and high efficiency.
- Decreases the stimulus of the moyoneural junction – this relaxes the muscle response, relaxes and allows the therapist to get into those muscles with less discomfort.
- Reduces spasticity in the muscles, allowing an increased range of work and reducing tension.
When the body becomes deeply relaxed, healing takes place more efficiently and the therapist is able to work more deeply.
The aim of LaStone treatment is to cause a ‘rollercoaster’ effect by using heated and chilled stones. This rollercoaster effect is crucial for the optimum LaStone treatment – the combination of heated and chilled stones provides optimum healing conditions. The clients are relaxed emotionally when receiving the treatment, while physically the body will be doing a heavy ‘internal workout’, which will ultimately result in the body feeling totally relaxed both physically and emotionally.
Remember, your body strives to maintain optimum health by keeping all of its systems in balance. Along with proper nutrition, exercise and rest, massage relaxes tense muscles and stimulates the body’s communication lines to help it do its job — and to keep you feeling your best. So, make regular massage a priority in your life for a healthier tomorrow!