Having just got over the disappointment and elation of Euro 2016 (depending on your home nation of birth) the Rio 2016 Olympics are upon us. It’s hard to imagine that London 2012 was four years ago! Here at Gwel an Mor we have our fingers firmly crossed for another great medal haul for Team GB.
If you’re staying with us during the summer you’ll be able to relax and watch the greatest sporting event on the planet from the comfort of your own luxury lodge. There you’ll have a beautiful, modern smart TV to catch up on all of the action. Should it all be too much for you then you can retreat to the tranquillity of your own private deck and hot tub.
When you are on your family holiday in Cornwall and the Olympics are on then perhaps you should be creating your own homage to the games? Luckily there are plenty of outdoor pursuits and activities on offer here at Gwel an Mor and throughout Cornwall, so you’ll be able to test your competitive steel throughout your time here.
Here at Gwel an Mor we are rather fond of long days on the beach, so we like to use that time to have our own multi-sport competition. Here are our favourite events for a family Olympics in Cornwall…
1. Cycling -Hire bikes right here at Gwel an Mor and race around the beautiful Mineral Tramways that surround the resort. See who is cycling speedster and reward the winner with a sweet treat from The Terrace Restaurant
2. Swimming – Either in the pool at Gwel an Mor or in the sea at one of numerous beaches near to the resort. If you are going to swim in the sea make sure that you swim at lifeguarded beaches and between the red and yellow flags.
3. Long Jump – With plenty of beaches to pick from you’ll have access to the biggest sand pit available. Do your finest impression of Greg Rutherford and leap to victory at the beach!
4. Surfing – Ok, so surfing isn’t part of Rio 2016, but it has been added to the events for the Olympics in 2020. Catch some waves with our partners Ebo Adventure and learn a new sport – maybe get yourself in the team for the next Olympics!
5. Running – Whether you elect for a Usain Bolt sprint to the hot tub or a Mo Farrah jaunt around the beautiful Cornish coast path there is an option to suit all abilities. Should you need rejuvenating afterwards you can replenish tired muscles in the Wellbeing Spa here at the resort.
6. Climbing – Another one that isn’t necessarily an Olympic sport! Here at Gwel an Mor we now have Clip’n’Climb climbing walls that can be enjoyed by the whole family. There are two identical walls with timers so that you can race and beat each other’s efforts. Join us in Base Camp for some adventure!
7. Stone Balancing – An alternative and a favourite of ours. Select stones and balance them on top of each other, it looks pretty and is a great test of hand/eye coordination. The winner is the person who stacks stones the highest.
8. Skimming – A Cornish must. A rite of passage often passed from father to son on holiday in Cornwall. See who can get their ‘skimmer’ to do the most ‘skims’ or ‘bounces’.